Industries are successful in the region because of qualified trained workers, easy logistical access to both suppliers and customers, and local centers that provide enhanced research and development assistance.
Firms in the Youngstown-Warren area are at the cutting edge of advanced materials. More than 16,250 workers are employed in the industry:
- RTI International Metals, within its plant RTI Niles, produces titanium used in aerospace applications. The company’s research and design center is located at the Niles complex.
- V&M Star announced a major expansion in 2010, investing more than $650 million to build a new state-of-the-art seamless pipe mill. The first test pipe was produced in 2012. Full production will begin in 2013.
- Wheatland Tube is a world leader in hot dip galvanizing and producer of continuous weld steel pipe. Applications include mechanical tubing, fencing, electrical conduit, and oil/gas well components.
- Warren Steel Holdings is a fully operational melt shop and casting mill, producing carbon and alloy steel continuously cast rounds.
- Universal Steel & Alloy recently purchased the area's newly built $64 million specialty steel mill to make alloys for parts in wind turbines/generators, nuclear reactor components, and aerospace applications.
- Latrobe Steel, recently acquired by Carpenter Technology Corp., distributes more than 300 grades of specialty steels for use in aerospace applications, high-performance cutting tools, aluminum casting dies, extrusion and thread roll dies and other demanding applications.
- Ajax Tocco Magnethermic Corporation designs and manufactures world-class induction heating and melting equipment for various industries.
Motor Vehicles and Parts Manufacturing
Motor vehicle and parts manufacturing is integral to the Youngstown-Warren area economy. Nearly 10,350 workers are employed in the industry.
- The GM Lordstown Complex produces the Chevy Cruze, the newest model of GM's lineup, which was unveiled in 2010. In preparation for the new vehicle, GM invested more than $350 million in plant upgrades.
- Comprehensive Logistics provides light manufacturing and transportation services for the GM Cruze.
- Delphi Automotive makes components for vehicle wiring harnesses and performs advanced engineering at its Technical Center here.
- Flex N Gate produces interior trim plastic molding at its 245,000 sq.ft. facility in Salem using vac-forming, insert molding and injection molding processes.
- Magna International Lordstown Seating is supplying seating systems for the new Chevy Cruze.
- Parker Hannifin manufacturers multi-stage telescopic and rod cylinders for mobile and industrial markets.
- PPG Industries manages the paint coatings facility within the Lordstown Complex and has received numerous awards for its performance on the new Cruze.
Distribution and Logistics
Excellent access to highway, airport, rail and ports make the area a great location for distribution operations such as:
Conway - logistics
Falcon Transport - logistics
Famous Supply - retail
FedEx Freight - logistics
FedEx Ground - logistics
Gerdau Ameristeel -steel
GreyBar - electrical
|Kmart/Sears - retail|
LaTrobe Steel - steel
Macy's - retail
Toys R' Us - retail
Things Remembered - retail
Transport America - logistics
Contact Centers—- Corporate Professional Services
There are five major contact centers in the region. Together these facilities employ more than 4,000 workers.
VXI Global Solutions
Food Processing and Manufacturing -
The region has a host of food manufacturers employing more than 1,100 people. Food products from these manufacturers are distributed regionally and nation-wide.
Summer Garden—sauces and condiments
Gia Russa— fine pasta and sauces
Ghossain’s Mid East Bakery—flat breads
AVI Foods—specialty packaged foods and vending machine items
Giannios Candy—Chocolates and candies
Handels’ Ice Cream—ice cream and specialty treats.
Valley Foods - packaged food items
PurFoods - speciality packaged foods