A large part of the duties of the Governor of Ohio is to appoint Ohio citizens to the various boards and commissions overseen by the state. These boards and commissions vary in activity and scope. They include:
- Occupational boards, such as the State Board of Examiners of Architects, the Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors and the Motor Vehicle Dealers Board.
- Advisory boards, including Labor-Management Government Advisory Board, Ohio Advisory Council for the Aging and Physician Loan Repayment Advisory Board.
- Licensing boards, such as the State Veterinary Medical Licensing Board and the Hearing Aid Dealers and Fitters Licensing Boards.
- College boards, such as Youngstown State University Board of Trustees and the Eastern Gateway Community College.
- Councils and commissions, including the Banking Commission, Governor’s Council on Juvenile Justice and the Ohio Arts Council.
As you might imagine, filling the many slots on these and dozens of other boards, commissions and council is a daunting task for state officials. They are looking for qualified, interested people to apply for these positions. And certainly, we’d like to see more Regional Chamber members and people from the Valley sitting on these statewide or regional boards to represent the interests of this area.
View the list
and review the names of the boards, commissions or councils, when each vacancy on that group will occur and any compensation that is provided for being in the group. If you see a position for which you'd be a good fit, apply for the position at the Governor’s website by filling out an application form.
If you decide to apply for one of these positions, please let the Regional Chamber know by emailing Government Affairs Coordinator Mandy Shina or phoning her at 330.744.2131, ext. 32.