The Cleveland-Youngstown/Warren-Pittsburgh passenger rail project is a collaboration of the Regional Chamber, Executive Director of All Aboard Ohio Ken Prendergast and All Aboard Ohio’s Mahoning Valley Chapter.
CLE-YNG-PIT CORRIDOR OVERVIEW
- Population: 6 million within 15 miles of CLE-YGN-PIT rail corridor
- Corridor length: 135 miles
- Assets: Technology, arts, health care, advanced manufacturing, higher education
- Needs: Link assets with programs, telecommunications and transport
- Transport: Driving is often the only "choice"
- Demand: 10,000+ commuting daily from Mahoning and Trumbull counties to Cleveland and Pittsburgh
Sources: U.S. Census, Eastage COG
Commuters in Davis, CA, take their bikes on the train.
Rail's Impact on the Region:
- CLE-PIT Ridership: 600,000+ annual rail riders
- Growth: Increases CLE-PIT travel by 100,000 annual trips
- Area Stations: Warren - 25,000 riders; Youngstown - 78,000 riders
- Youngstown: $50 million to $70 million in new downtown development
- Permanent Local Jobs Added: 285 to 390
- Household Income Locally: Increase $20 million - $25 million
Source: Ohio Rail Development Commission, Ohio Hub Economic Impact Study, 2007
The Ohio Hub Programmatic Environmental Impact Study (PEIS) starts in 2010, sponsored by the Ohio Department of Transportation and Ohio Rail Development Commission, to develop plans for rail improvements eligible for federal construction funds. Ohio Department of Transportation District 4 and Eastgate COG will be the Youngstown-Warren region's local resource for information and input. Over the next 18 to 24 months, the Ohio Hub PEIS will gather public input and study five Ohio travel corridors including Cleveland-Pittsburgh to identify a preferred route to be upgraded to 90 to 110 MPH. Upon completion, preliminary engineering will be conducted. Then, funding for construction can be sought from the Federal Railroad Administration, ODOT and others.
Proposed Route Map
HOW YOU CAN HELP
For information about All Aboard Ohio, please contact:
All Aboard Ohio
12029 Clifton Blvd., Suite 505
Cleveland, OH 44107
Cleveland-Youngstown-Warren-Pittsburgh Corridor, All Aboard Ohio update